When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Memoir Monday - 20 Years



Today is Memoir Monday (OK, it is Tuesday, but I have an excuse).  This is where I give you a chance to write and link up and answer the question about your past.  Yesterday was my 20th anniversary, and my husband and I actually went on a date!  It was amazing.  So the prompt today is to: 
Write about a really good day!

Twenty years ago, I was married in a very small ceremony.  The church had almost no one in it.  My soon to be husband and I, met with the Bishop before the ceremony; John told me “You look like you thought I wasn’t going to come”.  What could I say?  I did think that.  
To that point in time, every man in my life had hurt me.  I was nervous and very afraid.  I was not sure that it would work out (And neither were our children).  I had six, he had two and we blended a very complicated family.  
On the very few pictures that I have somewhere of our wedding, there are seven of the kids with absolutely no smiles and one very young boy with the biggest grin you ever saw!  Blending a family is hard work, but it has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever experienced.  
We have had a good life and raised all eight of those children, plus added three more girls to the mix.  It has been filled with good times and sometimes hard times, and there is still a part of me that will never understand what good thing I have ever done to deserve someone who treats me so amazingly.  
I am spoiled.
I am cherished.
I am loved.
And I do know that.  My really good day is the day I married my sweetheart and my friend.  It is the day that we both never forget.  John always tells me that it feels like yesterday (even though his Santa beard would show that to be a lie).  I always tell him that it feels like forever (that is the type of marriage I have always wanted).  The best part is that neither of us is wrong.  
We are good together.  We have worked together and raised good children together.  They are all loved and wanted, no matter what we have been through together.  We love each other through the years, no matter how difficult they can be.  We don’t argue often or have too many problems.  Mostly we agree on what we are doing and how we are doing it.  It took me a while to learn that not arguing could be normal.  That it could feel right and good.  

We have both changed over the years; mostly in better ways.  I am more patient, and he is more outgoing than he used to be. I have learned to be calm, and he has learned to help others when they are in need.  We complement each other.  We care for each other, we love each other.  And that makes every single day, a really good day to be married to him.     


No comments:

Post a Comment